By Lee Capatina
This is a recipe that is very close to my heart. When I first met my husband, he made me this soup and the vibrant colour, lemony flavour and creamy texture won my heart over instantly. We've since adapted the recipe together, making it healthier and more nutrient-dense. This has become our go-to for weeknight dinners with some crusty bread.
- 3 tbsp Gold Standard Ghee
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 yellow pepper, diced
- 3 cups bone broth or vegetable broth
- ½ cup full-fat coconut milk
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- ½ cauliflower, chopped
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight
- 2 tbsp Gold Standard Ghee
- 1 cup of raw cashews
- ¼ tsp saffron threads
- Sea salt, to taste
- Melt the ghee in a medium saucepan over medium high heat.
- Saute the onion and pepper for 5 minutes or until the onion becomes translucent.
- Add broth, lemon juice, coconut milk, spices, salt, nutritional yeast and cauliflower. Bring the soup back to a boil and simmer on medium heat for 10 more minutes, covered.
- Add drained cashews to the saucepan and blend with a hand blender until soup is thick and creamy.
- To make the garnish, melt 2 tablespoons of ghee in a small frying pan over medium-high heat.
- When the pan is hot and a drop of water sizzles on the pan, add cashews and saffron.
- Fry cashews until they are golden on both sides.
- Garnish the soup with a drizzle of melted ghee, fried cashews and toasted coconut.
- Serve with crusty sourdough or grain-free bread. Enjoy!
Photo by Lauren Miller
Styling by Dara Sutin
Copyright © 2018, Lee's Provisions Inc.