2 1/2 cup almond flour
2 tbsp Lee's Plain Jane Ghee or Great Maple Ghee, melted
2 tbsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup apple sauce (see recipe below)
1/4 cup honey
1 cup shredded apples (about 2-3)
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup apples, cored and chopped (approx. 2 apples)
1/2 cup water
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a a large muffin tray with paper cups.
2. Start by making the apple sauce. In a pot on low-medium heat, add in the apples and water. Simmer for approx. 10-15 minutes, until all the water has evaporated and the apple are soft. If needed, add more water. Once apple are soft enough, mash with a fork or potato masher, until they are a chunky sauce. Set aside.
3. Peel and core 2-3 small apples, and shred (using a cheese grater or food processor attachment) to equal 1 cup.
4. Im a large mixing bowl, combine the almond flour, eggs, coconut oil, cinnamon, baking soda, apple sauce, honey and salt. Once completely incorporated, fold in the shredded apples and 3 tbsp of the chopped walnuts.
5. Fill the lined muffin tray with about 1/4 cup of batter in each – will be enough batter to fill up 12 muffin tins. Sprinkle top of muffins with the remaining chopped walnuts.
6. Bake in the oven for about 20-25 minutes, until toothpick inserted comes out clean!. Enjoy alone or with some more ghee swiped on top!
This recipe was created by Amanda Zweig and was originally featured on her popular food blog, Bitchin in the Kitch.